At DHM our key focus is the property development industry and our clients range from corporate developers and public bodies to smaller property developers and private individuals interested and affected by development.
Johan started his career in 1971 in the Department of Justice and went on to become an additional magistrate. He joined local government in 1975 and inter alia served as the Deputy Town Clerk of Somerset West. Johan joined a Somerset West firm of attorneys during 1987. He is the co-founder of Du Plessis & Hofmeyr Inc. (established 1992) and of Du Plessis Hofmeyr Malan Inc. (established 2012).
Johan served as a municipal town councillor and as chairperson of the provincial appeal committee responsible for land use appeals. He has the right of appearance in the High Court and provides legal advice to numerous municipal councils, town planning and environmental firms and developers, especially as regards town planning and property development matters.
He actively and successfully participated in large scale property development for many years and gained invaluable experience and first-hand knowledge of the development industry and its challenges.
Johan has extensive knowledge of the application and enforcement of South African land use planning, environmental and administrative law and has assisted the provincial and municipal spheres of government with the drafting of legislation and government policies.
Track record highlights
- Drafting of Western Cape Planning and Development Act 7 of 1999 and draft regulations in terms thereof;
- Former Chairman of the provincial appeal committee hearing appeals in terms of the Land Use Planning Ordinance, 15 of 1985;
- Assisted with the drafting of the integrated zoning schemes (“IZS”) of the City of Cape Town;
- Assisted with the review and drafting of model provincial zoning scheme regulations;
- Former Mayor of Somerset West;
- Drafting by-laws for local government;
Areas of particular interest and expertise include:
- Land use planning applications
- Environmental authorisation applications
- Heritage resource applications
- Property development
- Administrative appeals and judicial reviews
- Compliance with environmental and land use legislation
- Restitution of land rights and land claims
Nikki obtained her LLB Degree while living in the United Kingdom and returned to South Africa to complete her admission examinations and contract of articles at Johan du Plessis Attorneys in Somerset West.
She is the co-founder of Du Plessis Hofmeyr Malan Inc (established 2012) and enjoys working in the fields of Conveyancing, Estate Planning and Administration, General Property Law, Sectional Titles, Home Owners Associations and other private law matters.
Areas of particular interest and/or expertise include:
- Property matters
- Land use planning matters
- Sectional Titles and Home Owners Association disputes
- Estate Planning and Administration